John Chanin is a trial lawyer with extensive experience in complex business litigation, financial fraud, government investigations, and white-collar defense. In his 27-years of practice, John has handled and tried diverse cases involving securities, intellectual property, and trade secrets, commercial disputes, employment agreements, real estate, healthcare, and financial institutions. He has also represented numerous companies and individuals facing government investigations, enforcement proceedings, and white-collar prosecutions.
- Chambers USA, ranked in Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations, 2015 to 2017
- Colorado Super Lawyer in Business Litigation and White Collar Defense, 2012 to 2018
- AV Preeminent rating, Martindale Hubbell Law Directory, 2001- date
- Governmental Investigations & White-Collar Defense
- Securities Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Real Estate & Construction Litigation
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow 2016 -2018
- E-Discovery Task Force – U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 2011 – 2014
- Faculty of Federal Advocates – Board of Directors, 2008 to 2011; President, 2011
- Assistant Federal Public Defender, U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 2003 – 2006
- Trial Advocacy Instructor, University of Colorado School of Law, 2002 – 2014
- Criminal Justice Act Standing Committee – U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 2001 – 2003
- CJA Panel Attorney Representative – National Conference of CJA Panel Attorneys, 2001 – 2003
- Law Clerk, Hon. Lewis T. Babcock, U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 1991 – 1992
- Represented Fitch, Inc., one of the three major independent credit rating agencies, in litigation filed by the State of Wyoming over its ratings of mortgage-backed securities, alleging losses of hundreds of millions of dollars when these securities were ultimately downgraded. John engineered a motion to dismiss based on personal jurisdiction that resulted in the complete dismissal of the case against Fitch.
- Represented a Norwegian software developer in a cross-border business dispute involving its U.S.-based subsidiary and distributor. John successfully negotiated a complete dismissal of the claims.
- Represented a major healthcare software company in a federal adversary proceeding alleging the fraudulent conveyance of IP assets worth more than $60 million.
- Represented a Canadian mortgage lender in a cross-border fraud investigation and federal civil litigation brought by a putative class of borrowers. The representation involved complex jurisdictional issues and related proceedings in the Canadian courts.
- Represented UBS Trust and UBS Financial in complex federal litigation involving a trust benefitting an heir to the largest private company in America.
- Represented a software company in federal litigation alleging contributory and vicarious copyright infringement.
- Represented Kirkpatrick Bank in a lawsuit involving a failed real estate development. In a six-day trial, John defeated numerous claims for lost profits and lender liability and secured a $9 million verdict for the client.
- Represented First Citizens Bank in numerous matters following its purchase from the FDIC as receiver of the former United Western Bank, including a complex series of actions in state and bankruptcy court involving a $12 million real estate project.
- Represented Bank of the West on numerous matters including in a complex foreclosure action involving numerous lender liability and mortgage securitization counterclaims, and a dispute with a former employee concerning trade secrets and a covenant not to compete.
- Represented the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Health System in a motion to compel arbitration of a multimillion-dollar dispute involving the purchase of Exempla Health Care System.
- Represented Charles Schwab & Co. in a successful motion to compel a securities arbitration before FINRA.
- Represented UrbanTrans Consultants in an international business dispute with a former joint venture partner.
- Represented a major oil and gas company On legal malpractice, negligence, and breach-of-fiduciary-duty claims relating to a private placement memorandum.
- Represented the nation’s second-largest animal-health-supply company in an unfair competition lawsuit brought by its main competitor.
White Collar Defense & Investigations
- Represented the administrator of a medical practice in a federal criminal investigation into alleged violations of the anti-kickback statute and billing fraud.
- Represented a resort development company in a State of Colorado investigation into alleged violations of the consumer protection act and deceptive trade practices.
- Represented Perimeter lnternetworking (dba SilverSky) on numerous matters concerning electronic communications privacy, litigation, and subpoena compliance.
- Represented Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC, in a matter involving allegations of misappropriation of confidential information.
- Represented the owner of a trucking company in a 27-count federal, white-collar fraud prosecution. John obtained a complete dismissal of the case.
- Represented the court-appointed receiver in the $140 million Sean Mueller Ponzi-scheme in matters involving the investigation and tracing of assets of the Mueller hedge funds, and litigation to recover those assets for the benefit of the investor-victims.
- Represented a former officer of a major energy company in a federal criminal investigation into alleged fraud involving tax credits applicable to the production of bio-diesel.
- Represented a former officer of TierOne Bank in a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation concerning financial reporting.
- Represented a local community bank in an internal investigation of fraudulent insider loans and related disclosures to regulatory agencies. John’s investigation ultimately resulted in the unraveling of a $20 million Ponzi-scheme and a successful federal prosecution.
- Represented a major construction company in a federal criminal investigation into alleged bid-rigging and anti-trust violations.
- Represented a former federal official in the Minerals Management Service in a multi-year investigation by DOJ’s public corruption division.
- Represented a World Champion cyclist in a week-long arbitration challenging her selection to the U.S. Olympic Team. John obtained a complete victory for his client.
- Represented numerous Olympic-level athletes in disputes with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).
- ADL, Co-Chair of Civil Rights Committee, Mountain States Board of Directors, Assoc. National Commissioner
- Jewish Colorado, Chair of the Partnership Committee
- University of Colorado School of Law, Boulder, J.D., Order of the Coif, 1991
- Cornell University, B.A., With Distinction, 1985
- U.S. Supreme Court
- 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California